Sunday, January 15, 2012

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. WHAT A MAN!

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals. by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nearly twenty-five years ago I started teaching at Martin Luther King Elementary School in Seattle. I knew a little about the man for whom the school was named, but was ignorant about black history, black culture and black people in general. The ensuing eighteen years brought about enlightenment on all fronts. After many classroom experiences with predominantly minority children, interactions with black parents and workshops dealing with racism I became an active anti-racist.

During those years I harangued my students into doing their best in school, being proud of themselves and reaching their potential. "Who knows," I would say, "one of you might be the first black president some day." Now, if I had my own classroom, I would have to qualify my words to say "One of you might be president someday" without the color adjective. We have come a long, long way, and I think most people would agree that Martin Luther King, Jr. played a major role.

Learning about him over the years, and preparing my students for the assembly honoring him each January, I gained a keen appreciation for his courage, conviction and message. His "I have a dream speech", delivered on August 28, 1963 during the march on Washington, sends chills through me to this day. Here is one of my favorite passages, which I hope will touch you, the reader, the way it touched me.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today.

We have indeed come a long way since these words were spoken. We have racial equality on most fronts not seen in the sixties. We have black children being judged by the content of their character. We have little white boys and little white girls joining hands with little black boys and little black girls. We have the ultimate proof of acceptance, President Barak Obama, our nation's first African-American leader.

It's personal with me as I watch an amazing friendship grow between my granddaughter, Lily, and her African American friend Kiyah. The two thirteen-year-olds hang out at school, after school and on the basketball court. They have a fist bumping routine that must be seen to be believed, and it gets more complicated each time they do it. I would not be surprised if they remained close friends throughout their lives. Thank you, Dr. King. At least in this corner of the world, your dream was realized, and it has enriched us all.

Of course many say we still have a long way to go, that there is still bias and racism, but I take comfort in a story related to me by Lily's mom. She is a kindergarten teacher in Bellingham and told me how she teaches the concept of fairness, by connecting it to Martin Luther King, Jr. Prior to reading a story to her young charges last Friday, she set it up so that only the little blonde children could be sitting on the floor in front of her where they could hear and see well. All the children with black, brown or red hair had to sit at a back table. You can imagine the resulting hue and cry. From there she was able to have a discussion on their level, that opened their eyes to how unfair it was in the past that children of color were not treated fairly. Their sense of fairness versus unfairness was so entrenched her students could not comprehend how such behavior could have existed. Yes, we've come a long ways.

Doctor King’s birthday tomorrow will be a day of celebration all across the land. I urge you to watch his “I have a dream” speech via Youtube video. It will transport you back to a tumultuous time in our country’s past. If you haven't seen it before, or heard its life changing message, you will be awestruck by the scope of history you are observing. And perhaps like me, you will feel the thrill that comes from knowing that a man of vision took our country to another level of understanding, compassion, and justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment