Thursday, September 10, 2009

Moving Forward:


Last night at the workshop, it all made sense.
As my teacher nudged me along.
But now I look out at a bright sunny day
And wonder if I was wrong?

My “about me” looks good and I like my first words
But now I’ve got writer’s block.
I guess I will start each blog with a poem
As I share my thoughts and self talk.


I saw Julie and Julia the other night, and I was touched – regardless of how many stars it did or didn’t get. Two great success stories in one. Maybe it was that movie that really started me on my blogging path. If Julie could do it, why not me? Granted French cooking can be more palatable than struggling to learn a new academic skill, but even academics can be easy if they are turned into fun experiences. And that’s how I like to teach.


For example, If you are want to teach or learn about Ancient Egypt, create an archeological dig in a box of sand containing broken dishes and other “artifacts”. Give your junior archeologists forks and let them experience a “dig” complete with recreating the broken pieces. This kind of experiential teaching is one way to make learning fun and memorable for kids. I can guarantee they will have an increased vocabulary which might include Egypt, pyramid, pharaoh, Nile River, archeologist, digging site, and many others depending on the various activities you provide. For those of you who want to increase your educational jargon, this is part of the “multiple intelligences” educational theory.

In the future I am thinking about reviewing a children’s book each week, giving ideas about how to present it as a learning experience to your child or classroom, and showing you how to create activities for the seven intelligences discussed in Dr. Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences.

No comments:

Post a Comment